Munich Airport is aiming to be carbon neutral by 2030. To achieve this, it will employ technology to reduce at least 60% of its CO2 emissions. The remaining 40% will be offset through sophisticated climate protection projects, preferably regional and relating to aviation.
Munich Airport also dedicated itself to the goal of “net zero carbon” by 2050, i.e. balancing out all CO2 emissions. Any remaining CO2 emissions must then be removed from the atmosphere.
A forest, for example, could help achieve this, which is how the idea was developed to create a “climate forest”. The additional CO2 bound in the wood of the MUC Climate Forest compared to normal commercial forests can be used by Munich Airport to compensate its CO2 emissions.