Electric vehicles at the airport

A carbon-neutral fleet

The objective is clear: Munich Airport has set the target of a 60 percent reduction in the airport's CO2 emissions by 2030, with the remaining 40 percent to be offset by appropriate climate protection measures. This applies to all emissions subject to the airport’s influence, for example those caused by vehicles or the airport's own CHP (combined heat and power) generating station.

"With the wide range of measures and technological innovations that we have implemented, we will be able to gradually reduce our carbon emissions," said Dr. Michael Kerkloh, the President and CEO of Munich Airport.

For example: In recent years the company has made massive investments in electric mobility: A total of 121 gasoline or diesel powered vehicles will be replaced by electric models by the end of 2019. That represents more than 20 percent of the current vehicle pool. By 2030 the airport plans for the entire fleet to be carbon-neutral.

Here is a list of some of our electric vehicles with their key characteristics:

Jumper stand-up electric scooter 

  • Number: 15
  • Range: ca. 30 km
  • Motor: Hub motor – 48V, 500W
  • Intended uses: The stand-up scooters are used by employees in technical, aviation and real estate functions to get from place to place on the airport campus.

Melex electric car

  • Number: three
  • Range: 70 km
  • Speed: ca. 30 km/h
  • Charge capacity: 260 Ah
  • Motor: 5 kW single-phase motor
  • Intended uses: Transporting persons in the terminal, e.g. for the mobility service

Smart Forfour 


  • Number: currently 17
  • Range: 160 km
  • Charge capacity: 17.6 kWh
  • Maximum speed: 130 km/h
  • Power: 81 HP
  • Intended uses: The electric Smart cars are used mainly as pool vehicles for work-related trips on the airport campus. The engineering department has nicknamed the vehicle "the elephant's roller skate".

Streetscooter WORK

  • Number: one
  • Range: 80 km
  • Power: 38 kW (52 HP)
  • Charge capacity: 20.6 kWh
  • Intended uses: The Streetscooter is used by the airport mail room to distribute letters and packages on the airport campus.

Electric passengers stairs 

  • Number: 55 units with AeroGround
  • Two different types – covered or uncovered
  • Working height: 2.4 m to 3.8/5.8 m
  • Intended uses: The electric-powered stairs are used for embarking and disembarking passengers when aircraft are parked at a remote stand without jet bridge access to the terminal. In the covered version, the driver's cab is below the stairs. Otherwise the cab is elevated. These vehicles are equipped with lead acid batteries.

Container pallet loader 

  • Number: five
  • Lifting capacity: 7 tons
  • Lift height: 3.7 m
  • Charge capacity: 930 Ah
  • Intended uses: The LAWECO CML 7 - 3.7 self-driving container and pallet loader, powered by two electric motors, is used for loading and unloading aircraft.

More news